The Sunshine Golf Club originated in 1923 on a course called “The Rock and Thistle”, located between Glengala Road and the Kororoit Creek Road in Sunshine.
The Sunshine Golf Club began on 9th July, 1923 at the State Bank of Sunshine with a meeting of local business people interested in forming a golf club. Mr H.V. McKay, of Sunshine Harvester fame, was appointed the Club’s Patron, with the first elected president Mr Thacker.
The original course was a 9 hole Par 66, with sandscrape greens. The land was heavily encrusted with lava rock outcrops and thick with scotch thistles. The first clubhouse was built in 1927-28 at a cost of 150 pounds ($300).
In 1963, the Club voted to relocate to the Fitzgerald Road site and moved in 1964 to play on the 18 hole, par 70 course with grass greens. The land cost 70,000 pounds ($140,000), course construction 30,000 pounds ($60,000), and clubhouse 25,000 pounds ($50,000).
In 2002, the Club again voted to relocate to the Mt Derrimut site. The move took place in November 2007 and is an 18 hole, par 72 championship course with fully irrigated greens and fairways using recycled water.
The golf course at Mt Derrimut is designed by Craig Parry and Pacific Coast Design to complement the historic significance of the site. The clubhouse incorporates the farm homestead built in 1883 with many of the original buildings of the past being retained and used by the Club. The historic dry stone walls are an integral feature on the course.